What is the age requirement in order to obtain Montana driver license?

You must be 21 years of age to apply for a Montana driver license.
You can apply for an instruction permit if you are at least 14 ½ years old.

Which documents do I need to provide?

- Proof of identification;
- Proof of Authorized Presence in the US;
- Proof of Residency;
- Social Security number.
And, if you are under 18 years of age:
- Proof of completion of a state-approved driver education course;
- Parental / guardian consent.
Be sure that name and birth date on your application match the ones reported on the documents you provide.

Where can I find a list of acceptable documents?

Visit the ‘Required Documents’ page at

Do I have to pass any test to obtain my Montana driver license?

Yes. You must pass a vision, knowledge and road tests.


How long is my instruction permit valid?

Until you are 21 years of age.

How many instruction permit are there in Montana?

- TEP (Traffic Education Permit)
- TELL (Traffic Education Learner License)
- Learner License

Who can apply for a TEP?

Only a student enrolled in a state-approved traffic education course.

Can I drive with my TEP?

You can drive only during traffic education training while an instructor is sitting in the car with you.

How long is my TEP valid?

A TEP is valid only for the duration of the course.

Who can apply for a TELL?

Anyone who is at least 14 ½ years old and is attending, or has successfully completed, a state-approved traffic education course.

Can I drive with my TELL?

Yes. You can operate a motor vehicle if an approved instructor or a parent / legal guardian is sitting beside you in the car.

Who can obtain a Learner License?

Anyone who is 16 years of age (without traffic education) or anyone who is 15 years of age and has successfully completed a state-approved traffic education course.

Do I have to pass a test to obtain my Montana Learner License?

Yes. You must pass a vision and a knowledge tests.

I am under 18 years of age, can I sign my application for a Learner License?

No, you need the consent of a parent / legal guardian.

How long is my Learner License valid?

1 year.

Can I drive with my Learner License?

Yes, but only if a licensed driver of at least 18 years of age is riding in the car with you.
If you are under 18 years of age the licensed driver sitting in the car with you must be your parent / legal guardian or he/she must be at least 18 years old and have a permission from a parent / legal guardian.

Do I have to complete a Supervised Driving Practice while holding my TELL or Learner License?

Yes, you must complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving (including 10 at night) within a 6-months period.


I have successfully held my Learner License for at least 6 consecutive months or up to 1 year. What’s next?

If you are younger than 18 years old, you can apply for a First-Year Restricted License.

Do I have any restriction while driving with my First-Year Restricted License?

- Everyone in the vehicle must wear seatbelts;
- Teenage drivers are not allowed to drive between 11 pm and 5 am.
- For the first 6 months, without a licensed adult driver onboard, only 1 unrelated passenger is allowed in the car;
- For the second 6 months, without a licensed adult driver onboard, only 3 unrelated passengers are allowed in the car.

How long is my First-Year Restricted License valid?

1 year or less if you turn 18 before the expiry date.

I have successfully held my First-Year Restricted License for one year. What’s next?

You will obtain a Montana Full-Privilege Driver License.


Where can I take my Montana knowledge test?

At the Montana Motor Vehicle Division driver exam stations.

How can I schedule my written test?

Visit and schedule your appointment online.

How many questions are on the Montana DMV permit test?

You must answer 33 questions about Montana traffic regulations, road signs, safe driving tips and rules of the road.

What is the score required to pass the test?

You must answer correctly at least 27 of 33 questions.

How can I prepare for the Montana knowledge test?

Study carefully the Montana Driver Manual. Without reading it, you cannot pass the written test.

I failed my knowledge test. What do I have to do?

You should study the manual carefully. You may retake the test the following day.


Where can I take my Montana driving test?

At the Motor Vehicle Division offices. You can schedule your appointment online at or by phone at 1-866-450-8034.

Do I have to provide my own vehicle for the road test?


What will I be required to do during my driving test?

- Follow and overtake other vehicles
- Yield to right of way
- Change lanes
- Parallel parking
- Make turns at intersections
- Use signals

I am under 18 years of age. Can I drive alone to the DMV office to take my driving test?

No, a parent /legal guardian must accompany you.

I failed my road test. What can I do?

You are allowed 3 attempts. After that, you will have to restart the licensing process.


I recently moved to Montana and I own a valid out-of-state driver license. Do I need a Montana driver license?

Yes. You must apply to transfer your current license within 60 days. You may not have to take a knowledge or road test.

My Montana driver license has expired. What can I do?

Within 3 months: you can renew your license without retesting.
After 3 months: you must reapply as a new driver and pass all licensing tests.

I lost my Montana driver license. Can I apply for a replacement?

Yes. You must apply for it at a local licensing station. Find the nearest office at

I changed name / address. Do I have to notify the Driver License Bureau?

Yes. You have up to 10 days. The appropriate forms can be found at