Who is required to have a driver license in the District of Columbia?
Anyone who operates a motor vehicle on public roadways in the District of Columbia.
What do you need to get a driver license in the District of Columbia?
- Be at least 17 years old (16 years of age for the Learner Permit);
- Submit proof of full legal name, date of birth, SSN and DC residency;
- Complete the knowledge, skills road and vision tests.
I am younger than 18 years old. Do I need parental consent to apply for a DC driver license?
Do I have to pass any test to obtain a DC driver license?
Yes, you must pass a Vision Screening, Knowledge and Road Skills tests.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA GRAD PROGRAM
What is the GRAD program?
The District of Columbia GRAD program allows drivers between 16 and 20 years of age to gain driving experience before obtaining a Full Driver License.
Who is eligible to enroll in the GRAD program?
Every resident between 16 and 21 years of age.
What do I need to do to get a Learner Permit in the District of Columbia?
- Be at least 16 years old;
- Pass the Knowledge test and Vision Screening;
- Have the parental consent form signed by your parent/legal guardian.
How long is my DC Learner Permit valid?
The permit is valid for one year and is renewable. If you do not renew it and it expires, you will have to take and pass the knowledge test again.
Can I drive alone with my Learner Permit?
No. You must be supervised by a licensed driver, of at least 21 years of age, who is seated beside you in the car.
Any other restriction with my Learner Permit?
Yes, you may drive only between 6am and 9pm.
How can I obtain my Provisional Driver License?
- Be at least 16 years and 6 months old;
- Hold your valid Learner Permit for at least 6 months;
- Have no pointable moving violations;
- Provide a signed 40 hours certification of 40 hours of accompanied driving experience;
- Take and pass the Road Skills Test.
How long is my Provisional License in the District of Columbia valid for?
One year, and it can be renewed.
Any driving hours restriction with my DC Provisional License?
Yes. You are allowed to drive only between 6am and 11pm (12pm on weekends and every day during July and August).
How can I obtain my Full Driver License?
- Hold your Provisional Driver License for at least 6 months;
- Have no pointable moving violations;
- Practice night driving for at least 10 hours accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age.
I am younger than 18 years of age and I hold a valid DC Full Driver License. Am I subject to any restriction?
- You are allowed to drive only between 6am and 11pm (12pm at weekends and during July and August);
- You can drive alone or with no more than 2 passengers under age 21 (except for siblings or your child).
DC KNOWLEDGE EXAM
How many questions are on the DC Knowledge exam?
There are 25 questions on the District of Columbia standard knowledge exam.
Which is the passing score for the DC standard written exam?
You must correctly answer at least 20 questions (80%).
Is the written exam different if I am enrolled in the GRAD (Gradual Rearing of Adult Drivers)?
Yes. The GRAD examination consists of 30 questions.
What is the score required to pass the GRAD examination?
The passing score consists of at least 24 correct answers (80%).
Can I take the DC Knowledge test in a language other than English?
Yes, the examination is also available in Spanish, French, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Korean, Amharic German, Arabic, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian, Tagalog, Cantonese, Thai.
What is the Knowledge exam about?
- Traffic laws;
- Rules of the road;
- Motor vehicle laws;
- Safe driving practices.
How can I prepare for the Knowledge test?
Study the District of Columbia Driver Manual and practice on DMV Permit Test.
I failed the written test. When can I retake it?
You are allowed to re-test after 72 hours.
ROAD SKILLS TEST IN THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
What is the Road Skills test about?
- Driving in traffic;
- Using turn signals;
- Safely controlling the vehicle;
- Parallel parking.
Do I have to make an appointment for my Road Skills test?
Yes. You can call 311 or visit www.dmv.dc.gov. Note that you must possess a valid learner permit to take the Road Skills test.
What do I need to do for my Road Skills test?
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before the appointment;
- Bring your valid learner permit;
- Bring your completed Certificate of Eligibility for Provisional License;
- Wear your seat belt.
Do I have to provide a vehicle for my DC Road Skills test?
Yes. The vehicle must fulfill the requirements and have valid registration and proof of insurance.
Can I drive to the location of my Road Skills test?
No. You must be accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age.
I failed my Road Skills test. What can I do?
You can retake the test after 72 hours.