Who is required to hold a valid Idaho driver's license?
Everyone who operates a motor vehicle on the public roads in Idaho.
I am moving to Idaho, do I need an Idaho driver's license?
Yes. You have up to 90 days of residing in Idaho to apply for an Idaho driver's license.
What is the age requirement to apply for a driver's license in Idaho?
You must be at least 15 years old.
What do I need to take to the DMV to get my driver's license?
- Proof of age and identity;
- Proof of residency in Idaho;
- Proof of lawful presence in the US.
Which tests do I have to pass to obtain an ID driver's license?
A vision screening, written knowledge and skills tests (including pre-drive check and driving test).
Is a driver training program required for drivers younger than 17?
Yes. You must complete a Driver Training program and a SIP (Supervised Instruction Period) under the Idaho's Graduated Driver's License program if you are under 17 years old.
What does the driver training program consist of?
- 30 hours classroom instruction;
- 6 hours in-car observation in a driver-training car;
- 6 hours of behind-the-wheel driving with a driver training instructor.
Can I drive during my driver training program?
Yes, but your Driver Training/Supervised Instruction Permit only allows you to drive with a driver training instructor.
What happens after completion of the driver training program?
After successful completion of the driver's training program, you will begin the six-months Supervised Instruction Period.
Which restrictions occur during the Supervised Instruction Period?
- You must be accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age sitting beside you in the car;
- All occupants must wear seat belts;
- You must observe all laws regarding alcohol and intoxicating substances;
- You must accumulate at least 50 hours of supervised driving time (including at least 10 hours at night).
What happens if I am convicted of violating any traffic laws while driving under the SIP?
Your permit will be canceled. You will have to reapply for a new SIP and the 6 months of supervised driving will start over again.
I completed the 6-months supervised driving, how can I obtain my driver's license?
- Provide proof of driver training completion;
- Provide a liability signer (a parent or legal guardian);
- Provide verification of school compliance;
- Take and pass the skills and written knowledge tests.
I am younger than 17 and I obtained my driver's license. Am I subject to any restriction?
Yes, during the first 6 months only one passenger younger than 17 years of age may ride in the car with you (except relatives).
How many questions are on the Idaho written knowledge test?
The written examination in Idaho consists of 40 questions. The passing score consists of at least 34 correct answers.
What is the ID written knowledge test about?
- Idaho traffic laws;
- Highways signs;
- Traffic signals;
- Pavement markings;
- Equipment required on motor vehicles.
What do I need to know for my skills test?
You must be able to drive a vehicle safely, demonstrate good driving habits and obey traffic laws.
Do I have to schedule an appointment for my skills test?
Yes, contact a certified skills tester to schedule your skills test. The local DMV office will provide you with a list of local testers.
Can I drive to the location where I will take my skills test?
No. A licensed driver must accompany you.
How is the skills test in Idaho structured?
The test consists of the pre-drive check and the driving test.
What is the pre-drive check?
During the pre-drive check, you have to demonstrate your knowledge of the vehicle and its equipment (tires, brakes, seat belts, emergency flashers…).
What does the driving test consist of?
- 4 left turning;
- 4 right turning;
- Lane changing;
- Crossing 8 intersections;
- Accelerating and decelerating;
What will make me automatically fail the driving test?
- Failing the pre-drive check;
- Accumulating more than 15 errors;
- Being involved in a collision or in a near collision;
- Seriously or persisting violating the law;
- Lacking cooperation.
I failed the written/skills test. When can I retake it?
You must wait 3 days before retaking the test.