Who is required to have a Massachusetts driver’s license?
Every resident who operates a motor vehicle in the state.
Who can apply for a Massachusetts driver’s license?
Every resident of at least 16 years of age whose driver’s license has never been revoked.
What is the age requirement to obtain a Massachusetts driver’s license?
You can obtain a learner’s permit if your are at least 16 years of age. You may obtain a Class D or Class M driver’s license after you have successfully held your permit for 6 months and have completed a driver education training program.
Do I have to provide a photo in order to apply for a driver’s license or learner’s permit?
Yes. Your photo will be captured by the RMV. You are not allowed to wear eyeglasses, hat, head cover or anything that hides any facial features.
Is a vision test required?
Yes. You must score at least 20/40 in your better eye, with or without correct lenses, and at least 120 degrees of horizontal peripheral vision.
Do I have to take a physical test?
No, but you may provide a letter from your physician if you have any mental or physical condition that may affect your driver’s abilities.
Which documents are required in order to apply for a Massachusetts driver’s license/learner’s permit?
- Birth certificate or any document proving your date of birth;
- Proof of residency;
- Pre-existing document containing your signature;
- Social Security Number.
A complete list of all the Acceptable Forms of Identification can be found in the Massachusetts Driver’s Manual available at https://www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/dmanual/Drivers_Manual.pdf.
Do I have to pass any test to obtain my learner’s permit?
Yes, you must pass a vision exam and a written learner’s permit exam.
I am under age 18. Do I need my parent consent to apply for a Massachusetts learner’s permit?
Yes. You must have the consent of a parent/legal guardian/social worker/ boarding school headmaster, who will sign the back of your permit.
How long is my Massachusetts learner’s permit valid?
Can I drive with my learner’s permit?
Yes. You must be accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age, who has held a license for at least 1 year and who occupies the seat beside you.
Do I have any other restrictions while operating with my learner’s permit?
You may not drive between 12 am and 5 am, unless a licensed parent/legal guardian is riding in the car with you.
JUNIOR OPERATOR LICENSE
I have held my learner’s permit for 6 consecutive months without suspensions. Can I apply for a Massachusetts driver’s license?
You can apply for a Junior Operator License (JOL).
What do I have to do to apply for a JOL?
- Have a clean driving record for at least 6 consecutive months;
- Complete a Registrar-approved driver education and training program: 30 hours classroom instruction, 12 hours behind-the-wheel training, 6 hours in-car experience;
- Complete additional 40 hours of supervised driver training;
- You parent / guardian must complete a 2 hours instruction on the driver’s education curriculum;
- Pass the final road test.
Do I have any restrictions while driving with my JOL?
- For the first 6 months you may not carry any person under age 18, unless a licensed driver of 21 years of age is riding in the car, sitting beside you. This restriction is valid for 6 months or lifted before this period if you turn 18;
- You are not allowed to drive between 12:30 am and 1 am and between 4 am and 5 am.
- You are not allowed to operate a motor vehicle that requires a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License);
- You are not allowed to use any mobile device while driving.
What happens if I commit driving offenses while operating with a JOL?
- If you are under 18 you will be suspended for one year;
- If you are aged 18 to 21 you will be suspended for 180 days.
Additional suspension periods can be given for specific offenses.
MASSACHUSETTS WRITTEN TEST
How many questions are on the Massachusetts RMV permit test?
25 multiple-choice questions.
What is the score required to pass the test?
You have 25 minutes to correctly answer at least 18 questions.
How can I prepare for the Massachusetts knowledge test?
Study the Massachusetts Driver’s Manual and take our DMV written test
How do I know when I am ready to take the permit test?
You should be able to answer questions about Massachusetts motor vehicle laws and safe driving practices, alcohol misuse, rules of the road and road signs.
Can I take my Massachusetts RMV permit test in Spanish?
I failed my knowledge test. What do I have to do?
Study again, practice and take the test whenever you feel you are ready.
How can I schedule my road test?
Visit the official Massachusetts RMV website at www.massrmv.com.
What do I have to do to prepare for the road test?
- Have a completed road test application signed by a parent/guardian;
- Have your learner’s permit;
- Bring a qualified sponsor;
- Provide an equipped and properly registered vehicle.
What common mistakes should I avoid?
- Be in time. Arrive at least 5 minutes early for your appointment.
- If you use a rented vehicle, be sure that the rental agreement authorizes you to use it for a driver’s license road test;
- Be sure that your vehicle is safe and in good working order. It will be inspected by the examiner;
- Remember to bring a sponsor who is at least 21 years old, has at least 1 year driving experience and has a valid driver’s license.
What will I be required to do during my road test?
- Use hand signals
- Start the engine
- Start and stop the vehicle
- Parallel Park
- Back the vehicle approximately 50 feet
- Make left/right turns
- Start, stop, and turn the vehicle on a hill
- Turn around between curbs (three point turn)
- Enter and leave intersections
- Recognize and obey traffic signs, lights and signals, and other rules of the road
- Use good driving sense
- Use good driving posture
- Drive in the proper lane
- Maintain enough distance between your vehicle and the one ahead of you
- Always drive at safe speeds
- Properly yield the right-of-way
I failed my road test. When can I take it again?
You are allowed 6 attempts in a 12-month period.
I HAVE A DRIVER LICENSE, BUT…
I have a valid out-of-state driver’s license. Am I allowed to drive in Massachusetts?
I have a valid out-of-country driver’s license. Can I drive in Massachusetts?
Yes, up to one year from your arrival in the US.
I have a valid out-of-state / out-of country driver’s license and I moved to Massachusetts. Do I need a Massachusetts driver’s license?
Yes. You may convert your out-of-state or foreign license.