Who is required to obtain a Nevada driver's license?
Anyone who lives and work in Nevada and wants to drive on NV streets and highways.
Do I need a Nevada driver's license if I move to Nevada?
Yes, you have up to 30 days after becoming a resident to apply for an NV driver's license.
Who is exempt from holding a Nevada driver's license?
- Border state employees;
- Military members stationed in Nevada.
What is the age requirement to apply for a driver's license in Nevada?
You must be at least 16 years old.
How long is a first-time Nevada driver's license valid for?
It is valid for 8 years and expires on your birthday.
I am younger than 18 years of age, can I sign my application for a Nevada driver's license or permit?
No, a parent or guardian must co-sign your application.
NEVADA INSTRUCTION PERMIT
What do I need to obtain an instruction permit?
- Be at least 15 years and 6 months old;
- Complete a driver's license application;
- Pass a vision test;
- Pass a knowledge test.
Which documents are required to apply for a Nevada instruction permit?
- DMV-301 form (Certification of Attendance) signed by the principal or designated school official stating that you meet the minimum school attendance requirements or DMV-301 form stating that you have completed school;
- License Application;
- Proof of your legal name, age, SSN and Nevada residency;
- Authorization from a parent/legal guardian.
How can I meet the driver's education requirement?
You may take driver's education at any local DMV approved school or online with a DMV approved school and complete 50 hours of supervised driving experience (including 10 at night).
If neither option is accessible you must complete 100 hours of behind-the-wheel driving experience (including 10 at night).
Which restrictions apply when I drive with my instruction permit in Nevada?
You must be accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age, who has at least 1 year of licensed driving experience and is sitting beside you in the car.
How can I upgrade from my instruction permit to a full driver's license?
You must hold your instruction permit for at least 6 months.
I am younger than 18. Do I have any restriction on my driver's license?
Yes. If you are 16 or 17 years old, for the first 6 months, you are not allowed to carry passengers under the age of 18 (except for immediate family members).
If you are under 18 years of age you may not drive between 10 pm and 5 am.
NEVADA DMV EXAMINATION
Which tests do I have to pass to obtain a Nevada driver's license?
- Vision test;
- Knowledge test;
- Skills test.
What is the Nevada knowledge test about?
- Highway signs and markings;
- Traffic laws;
- Safe driving practices.
What does the Nevada knowledge test consist of?
The test contains 50 multiple-choice questions. You are required to correctly answer at least 40 questions to pass the test.
How can I prepare for the Nevada written test?
- Study the Nevada Driver’s Manual;
- Practice with our Nevada DMV written test
What will be evaluated during my Nevada skills test?
- Preparation to drive;
- Vehicle control;
- Entering traffic;
- Lane use;
- Speed control;
- Parallel and angle parking;
- Attention to traffic situations.
Can a friend or a relative accompany me during the road skills test?
No. Only you and the examiner are allowed in the car during the driving test.
Do I have to provide a car for my driving test in Nevada?
Yes, the vehicle you provide must have:
- Registration and license plates;
- Evidence of insurance card;
- Headlights, taillights; brake lights and turn signals;
- Seat belts;
- Windshield wipers.