Who is required to hold a North Dakota driver's license?
Every resident who drives in North Dakota.
Who is not required to hold a North Dakota driver's license to drive in North Dakota?
- Nonresident students;
- Nonresident members of the Armed Forces.
Who is considered a resident in North Dakota?
Anyone who has lived in the state for 90 consecutive days.
Where can I apply for an operator's license or instruction permit?
At the offices of the Drivers License Division of the Department of Transportation.
Which documents are required for the application for a driver's license or permit in North Dakota?
- Proof of identification;
- Proof of Social Security Number;
- Proof of North Dakota Residence Address.
What is the age requirement to obtain a North Dakota D driver's license?
16 years of age.
What is the age requirement to obtain a North Dakota instruction permit?
14 years of age.
How can I practice driving with my instruction permit?
You must be accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 18 years of age, who has at least 3 years driving experience and is sitting beside you in the car.
How can I obtain an instruction permit in North Dakota?
- Be at least 14 years of age;
- Provide parent/legal guardian approval and sponsorship;
- Pass a knowledge and visual tests.
How can I upgrade from my instruction permit to a full operator's license?
If you are 14 or 15 years old:
- Hold your instruction permit for 12 months or to the age of 16, whichever comes first (but no less than 6 months);
- Present a driver education Certificate of Training;
- Complete at least 50 hours of supervised driving;
- Pass a road test.
If you are 16 or 17:
- Hold your instruction permit for 6 months or to the age of 18, whichever comes first;
- Pass a road test.
What happens after I pass my road test?
If you are 15 years old, you will be issued a minor driver license, which means you are restricted to operate:
- only your parent's/guardian's/family member's vehicles;
- between 9 pm and 5 am only if accompanied by a parent/legal guardian/licensed driver of at least 18 years of age sitting in the passenger seat.
Your restricted license will become unrestricted once you turn 16.
Can the road test be waived?
Yes, it may be waived if you present a North Dakota Driving School Certificate of Course Completion or a North Dakota Department of Public Instruction Student Completion Certificate stating that you have completed:
- at least 30 hours of classroom driver training;
- at least 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
NORTH DAKOTA DRIVER EXAMINATION
Do I need an appointment for my knowledge test in North Dakota?
No appointment is required for the written test.
Which documents are required to access the ND knowledge test?
- Proof of legal presence in the US;
- Proof of current name and place of birth;
- Social Security Number;
- Parent or legal guardian sign approval and sponsorship (for applicants under age 18).
How can I pass my knowledge test?
You must score at least 20 out of the 25 multiple-choice questions correctly.
How can I prepare for the written test?
Study the North Dakota Drivers License Manual and practice with our North Dakota DMV written test
Which documents do I have to bring to my road test?
- Valid ND operator's permit;
- Driver's Education Certificate of Training (for applicants under 16).
Can I drive to the site of my road test?
If you are under 16, a parent or legal guardian must accompany you.
Do I have to provide a vehicle for my road test in North Dakota?
Yes. The vehicle must be in proper safe condition and be correctly registered.
Will the examiner inspect my vehicle before the test?
Yes. Be sure that the following vehicle equipment is in proper working order:
- Brake lights and taillights;
- Turn signals;
- Leak-free exhaust system;
- Seat belts;
- Windshield and windows.
Do I have to make an appointment for my ND road test?
Yes, an appointment is required to take the road test.
What is important to pass the road test?
- Follow instructions;
- Keep in the proper lane;
- Give the proper signals;
- Parallel park;
- Demonstrate good driving posture;
- Obey all traffic signs and traffic laws.
I failed my test, can I retake it on the same day?
No, you must wait at least the following day. Study and practice before retaking the exam.