Who is required to hold an Ohio driver's license?
Every resident who drives on public streets in Ohio.
What is the age requirement to apply for an Ohio driver's license?
15 years and 6 months of age.
Which documents are required to apply for a license in Ohio?
- Proof of full legal name;
- Proof of age;
- Proof of Social Security Number;
- Proof of citizenship or legal presence in the US;
- Proof of Ohio address.
Where can I apply for an Ohio driver's license?
At a driver license exam station and deputy registrar.
I am younger than 18 years of age, can I sign my application?
No, a parent or legal guardian must co-sign the application. He must provide the above-listed identification documents as well.
How can I obtain an Ohio driver's license?
- Meet the age requirement;
- Provide the required documents;
- Pass a vision and knowledge test;
- Hold you instruction permit for 6 months (if under 18 years of age);
- Complete a driver education course (if under 18 years of age);
- Complete 50 hours of driving experience, including 10 at night (if under 18 years of age);
- Pass a road test.
How can I obtain an Ohio temporary instruction permit identification card (TIPIC)?
- Meet the age requirement;
- Pass a vision test;
- Pass a knowledge test.
Do I have to complete a driver education course?
Yes, if you are younger than 18, you must complete
- 24 hours classroom instruction;
- 8 hours of driving instruction.
What happens after I pass my knowledge exam?
You will receive a receipt with a confirmation number. You must present the receipt at a deputy registrar agency to obtain your TIPIC within 60 days.
Which documents are required for the issuance of my TIPIC?
- Exam receipt;
- Proof of legal name;
- Proof of date of birth;
- Social Security Number;
- Proof of US citizenship or legal presence in the US;
- Resident street address in Ohio;
- Photo image.
How can I practice driving with my TIPIC?
If you are under 16 years of age: you can practice driving only if accompanied by a licensed parent or legal guardian sitting beside you in the car.
If you are 16 years old or older: you may practice driving with a licensed driver of at least 21 years of age sitting in the passenger seat.
How long is my TIPIC valid for?
It will expire 1 year from the date of issuance.
What happens if my TIPIC expires before I pass my road test?
You must retake and pass the knowledge and vision tests.
OHIO DRIVER LICENSE EXAMINATION
What is the knowledge test in Ohio about?
Ohio motor vehicle regulations and traffic signs.
How can I prepare for the Ohio knowledge test?
Study the Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws and practice with our Ohio DMV written test
How is the knowledge exam in Ohio structured?
The OH knowledge test contains 40 questions and includes 20 questions about road signs and 20 about road rules.
Which is the passing score for the knowledge test?
You must correctly answer at least 15 questions about road signs and 15 questions about road rules.
I failed my knowledge test, when can I retake it?
You must wait at least 24 hours to retake the test. Study and practice before retaking the test. Complete all our sample permit practice tests
Am I allowed to wear corrective lenses during my vision test?
Yes. If you need lenses to pass the test, it will be reported on your license and you will be allowed to drive only when wearing such lenses.
Do I have to provide a vehicle for my road skills test?
Yes. The vehicle must be in safe operating condition.
How is the Ohio skills test structured?
The skills test consists of 2 parts:
- Maneuverability test;
- Driving test.
Which driving tasks do I have to perform during my driving test?
- Turning around;
- Making proper left and right turns;
- Giving hand signals or using mechanical turn signals;
- Driving in the proper lane;
- Maintaining safe following distance.
What is the maneuverability test?
This test is made of two steps, which must be completed in one continuous motion
- Step 1: drive forward through a box;
- Step 2: from your stopped position at the end of step one, back past the point marker.
I failed one step on my skills test. What can I do?
You must wait at least 7 days before retaking the test. If you fail 4 times, you must wait 6 months before retesting.