Who is required to have a West Virginia driver's license?
Anyone who operates a motor vehicle on public roadways in the state.
Who may drive in West Virginia but is exempt from holding a WV driver's license?
- Any member of the armed services of the United States on duty in the state;
- Every nonresident who is at least 16 years old, has a valid license from another state or country and drives in WV for no more than 90 days in a calendar year;
- A nonresident who is attending a West Virginia college or university and has a valid out-of-state license.
What is the age requirement to apply for a West Virginia driver's license?
You must be at least 15 years old to apply for a West Virginia instruction permit.
Who may not obtain a WV driver's license?
You are not allowed to obtain a West Virginia driver's license if:
- you are a habitual user of alcoholic beverages or are addicted to the use of narcotic drugs;
- your driver's license has been suspended or revoked by WV or any other state;
- the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles has good cause to believe you would be hazardous to public safety or welfare when driving;
- you are under the age of 18 and not enrolled in, or graduated from, an approved educational institution.
I am moving to West Virginia. Do I need a West Virginia driver's license?
Yes, you have up to 30 days after establishing your residency in the state to apply for a WV driver's license.
Which documents are required to apply for a driver's license in West Virginia?
- Proof of identity;
- Proof of Social Security Number;
- 2 proofs of WV residency with name and physical address;
- School Eligibility Certificate (if under 18).
Where can I obtain my School Driver Eligibility Certificate?
If you are an in-state schooled student: from your school.
If you are a homeschooled student: from the County's Board of Education office where you live.
If you are an out-of-state schooled student: from any DMV Regional Office or Testing Center.
WEST VIRGINIA DRIVER EXAMINATION
How can I pass my knowledge test?
You must score at least 19 out of the 25 multiple-choice questions correctly. The written test covers traffic rules, regulations, signs, and markings.
How can I prepare for the written test?
Study the West Virginia Drivers License Manual and practice with our West Virginia DMV written test
Do I have to provide a vehicle for my road test in West Virginia?
Yes. The vehicle must be in proper safe condition and be correctly registered. Vehicle defects may constitute failure of examination.
Will the examiner inspect my vehicle before the test?
Yes. Be sure that the following vehicle equipment is in proper working order:
- Brake lights and taillights;
- Turn signals;
- Seat belts;
- Windshield and windows.
Do I have to make an appointment for my WV road test?
Yes, an appointment is required to take the road test.
What is important to pass the road test?
- Follow instructions;
- Keep in the proper lane;
- Give the proper signals;
- Car control;
- Parallel park;
- Demonstrate good driving posture;
- Obey all traffic signs and traffic laws;
- Attitude toward pedestrians;
- Use of driving lanes.