Who is required to have a Wyoming driver's license?
Anyone who wants to legally drive in Wyoming.
Who may drive in Wyoming without a Wyoming driver's license?
- Any employee of the US government operating a government vehicle in the state;
- Any licensed member of the armed services of the United States on duty in the state;
- Any full-time student who is attending a WY college or university and has a valid out-of-state license;
- Any Driver License Compact member.
What is the age requirement to apply for a Wyoming driver's license?
You must be at least 17 years old (or 16 ½ and have completed a driver education course) to apply for full driving privileges in Wyoming. You must be at least 15 years old to apply for an instruction permit.
Who is not allowed to obtain a Wyoming driver's license?
You are not allowed to obtain a Wyoming driver's license if
- you are under age 16;
- your driving privileges have been suspended, canceled, denied or revoked;
- you failed any portion of the driver license examination;
- you have been judged legally incompetent;
- you are a habitual user of alcoholic beverages or any controlled substance;
- you are in violation of the US immigration laws.
I am moving to Wyoming. Do I need a WY driver's license?
Yes, you have up to 30 days after establishing your residency in the state to apply for a WY driver's license.
What to do I have to do to apply for a Wyoming driver's license?
- Meet the age requirement;
- Provide proof of identification and WY residency;
- Pass a written knowledge test, a vision screening and a driving skills test;
- Provide a release signed by a parent/legal guardian (if under age 18).
Which documents are required to apply for a driver's license in Wyoming?
- Proof of identity (state-certified birth certificate, valid US passport or immigration documents);
- 2 proofs of Wyoming residency with a residential address.
Which restrictions apply when I practice driving with my WY instruction permit?
You must be accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 18 years of age. He/she must occupy the passenger seat.
Any resident who is at least 16 years of age, has held an instruction permit and has completed 50 hours of behind-the-wheel driving (including 10 at night).
With an intermediate license you may not
- transport more than one passenger under age 18 who is not immediate family;
- drive between 11 pm and 5 am.
These restrictions do not apply if you are accompanied by a licensed driver of at least 18 years of age;
WYOMING DRIVER LICENSE EXAMINATION
What is the vision screening?
During the vision screening, your eye acuity will be proved. You must have 20/40 with both eyes.
Am I allowed to wear corrective lenses during the vision screening?
Yes. If glasses or contact lenses are required to pass the test, they will be required while driving.
How can I pass the knowledge test in Wyoming?
You must score at least 40 out of the 50 multiple-choice questions correctly.
What is the WY written test about?
The test covers traffic signs, signals, pavement markings, rules of the road, crash prevention, vehicle equipment and safe driving practices.
How can I prepare for the written test?
Study the Wyoming Driver Manual and practice using our Wyoming practice permit test
Do I have to pass a skills test if I have completed a driver education class?
No, the skills test may be waived if you have completed an approved driver education class. You must provide a certification card containing your name, date of birth, driver license number and the original signatures of your instructor and your school administrator.